take5 and vote:
- NZ’s key export markets do not want GE food. Releasing GE doesn’t make economic sense.
- NZ enjoys a clean green image globally. Releasing GE will irreversibly damage this.
- Extending the GE moratorium by 5 years will not stop NZ scientists developing medicines to improve human health.
- No long-term health studies have been completed on humans eating GE food. How can we ‘proceed with caution’ when the scientists don’t even know what’s going on?
- It appears altered genes can transfer from GE plants to weeds. NZ’s economy relies heavily on agriculture. The last thing we need are super weeds.